Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Family-Centered Child Support
Family-Centered Child Support is the use of federal and state laws governing the IV-D program, to serve customers in an equitable way to improve family well-being. This model relies on a “Whole Family” approach to determine program impact on every member of the family.
The Family-Centered Child Support model focuses on building relationships to empower the families we serve by:
- Sharing information about community support programs;
- Encouraging families to become self-sufficient through economic stability;
- Securing meaningful health care coverage;
- Establishing right-sized orders and modifying orders based on the parents’ actual income;
- Reducing child support debts owed by the noncustodial parents;
- Building healthy family relationships through visitation programs; and
- Reassessing enforcement actions and the ability to pay when payment struggles arise.
Through Family-Centered Child Support, DCFS continues working to keep children safe, helping individuals and families become self-sufficient, and providing safe refuge during disasters.