Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Foster Parenting: Qualifications and Steps
- At least 21 years of age
- Single, married, divorced, or widowed
- Financially stable (able to meet own family’s needs)
- Good physical, emotional and mental health
- Adequate space in home for additional child
- Pass state and federal criminal clearances
- Attend 21 hours of pre-service training
- Participate in home study process
Steps to Certification
- Attend an orientation meeting to learn more about the certification process.
- Complete pre-service training. (7 sessions)
- Submit application for certification. (Form will be handed out at first pre-service training session)
- Come to office for fingerprinting of all adult members of household.
- Provide documentation from a physician that all members of household are free of communicable disease. (Form will be handed out at first pre-service training session)
- Participate in the home study process. There will be up to 3 visits to your home by an agency worker-one of which will include a safety inspection of your home.
- Provide at least 5 references.
- Certification process is complete!